Monday, March 3, 2008

What comes down

Shortly after the flying banana incident a flesh-free orange peel was deposited on our door-step. This past weekend our apartment started to fill with essence of eu du cigarette. I looked out our front door and inches away was a smoking cylinder of death, its red embers flashing. A stiffer breeze and it would have been blown inside to work its magic on a hole in our carpet. Annoyed, i picked it up and dipped it in a nearby puddle. Listening as it sizzled. I tossed its soggy carcass a bit farther out into the courtyard, wanting to get as far away from it as possible. (you might be wondering at this point why we don't just shut our door to stop flying foreign objects from coming in. that would be a good idea except its the only way we have to let fresh air in, and here they don't have screens. anywhere. so if we are to let in fresh air, the door must be open, thus the possibility of other things coming in as well.)

Have the local seagulls picked up the nasty habit? i feared this incident had human velocity behind it.

Up above us the two towering apartment buildings were talking to each other. Building 3, sixth floor 2-bedroom apartment was a Canadian from Vancouver Island trying to get himself invited over to building 4, apartment 716 for drinks. He shares his apartment with his girlfriend and another guy and they have been here for a couple months and haven't had a chance to meet any friends. I only know this because he was telling them all this. Scratch that, yelling them all this. It was the patrons to a certain 716 that were flicking their unwanted cancer sticks down and to our doorstep and trying to gracefully evade the obvious invite. I thought about buzzing myself up and bringing them an ash tray as a welcoming gift and asking them to stop throwing their crap down. Paul said he'd only let me go up if they threw another one down.

I perched myself on our doorstep for the next two minutes, peering into the dark night until i was bleary-eyed and exhausted and paul suggested i give up my vigil and come to bed. Oh 716, one of these days i'll meet you. I'll meet you with an ash tray or the patch in my hand, it all depends on my mood, peeps, it all depends on my mood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that it is the job of appartment managers to carry complaints from one tennant to another and to be the recipient of any subsequent black eyes or broken teeth